Whats it all about?

Just pictures...and heaps less blah blah blah.

Monday, July 11, 2011

Swinging on the monkey bars.

Today is a pivotal day for me.
Today my youngest turns eighteen and even though practically speaking I'm still here; as a Mother there is that stepping aside now ; to give him space to fly solo.
A chapter is closing.

And today is Orientation day for my TAFE course.
Russell and I were talking over the weekend about the next part of our lives, what its going to mean. And we realised that possibly for the first time in nearly 25 years I am putting myself first.
And I'm reminded of my favourite metaphor of the moment.
The monkey Bars.
I loved them at school. Even before I was big enough to swing easily from bar to bar, I'd be up there in monkey-mode happily swinging my body so that for a split second I'd be flying, with no safe grip on a bar. Letting go of one bar so that I could swing and grab the next. Completely confident that the bar would be there and confident in my ability to catch it.
So today I'm in between monkey bars.
I've let go of a safe comfortable familiar bar
and swung myself forward with my hands outstretched for the next.
The next bar may not be the one
I may only swing there briefly before flinging to the next
I'm nervous but also
I'm very ready for the next adventure.
So today???

Have fun on the Bars,  fellow Monkeys
Linda X

No comments:

Post a Comment