Whats it all about?

Just pictures...and heaps less blah blah blah.

Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Relocating for more Creating

Its been a busy couple of weeks for Russell and Alex. With the shuffling of the rooms here at home the downstairs is suddenly, delightfully vacant and The fella's were busy while I was away cleaning and clearing and touching up paint. What a lovely surprise to come home to!
Now my task is to move from here...




To here.........................................





I won't know myself...so much space...room for crafting visitors...woohoo!

The past four months since I broke my shoulder have been an incredible time of contemplation. As well as earning a snazzy nickname from one of my brothers (Hi I'm Chicken Wing) I've also had time to tap into what it is that brings me contentment. There absolutely must be creating in my life...words images ideas decorating cooking whatever...if that part of my nature is blocked then I am not fulfilling Gods intention for my life. No wonder it makes me miserable.

So a conclusion that I came to after much prayer and deep thought. I will only tackle one subject at Uni this semester. It makes no sense to stop doing what makes my heart sing to learn about what makes my heart sing. Reminds me a bit of this parable retold by Charles Swindoll.
 
Once upon a time, the animals decided that they should do something meaningful to meet the problems of the new world, so they organised a school.
They adopted an activity curriculum of running, climbing, swimming and flying.  To make it easier to administer, all of the animals took all of the subjects.
The duck was excellent at swimming.  In fact, he was better than his instructor.  However, he made only passing marks in flying and was very poor at running.  Since he was so slow in running, he had to drop his swimming class and do extra running.  This caused his webbed feet to become badly worn, meaning that he dropped to an average mark in swimming.  Fortunately, “average” was acceptable, therefore nobody worried about it – except the duck.
The rabbit started at the top of the class in running, but developed a nervous twitch in his leg muscles because he had so much makeup work to do in swimming.
The squirrel was excellent in climbing, but he encountered constant frustration in flying class because his teacher insisted that he start from the ground up instead of from the treetop down.  He developed cramps from overexertion, so he ended up with a C in climbing and a D in running.
The eagle was a real problem student and was severely disciplined for being a non-conformist.  In climbing class, he beat all of the others to the top, but insisted on using his own way of getting there!
The principle here is that we each have our own strengths and need to be working hard to maximise them, not handicap our potential by becoming good at something that isn’t natural for us.
If you’re a leader reading this, think about who the ducks, rabbits, squirrels and eagles are in your organisation are and how you can best use their unique skills and strengths rather than trying to get the same level of average performance out of all of them.

 I'm so excited to be spreading out into this space. Lots of projects on the go at once. And my dream of writing and illustrating is one step closer. Bliss!
And you guys will be my test pilots...are you ready?
Linda X

No comments:

Post a Comment